ASQ stands for Alternative State Quarantine. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you must currently go through a quarantine period when you arrive in Thailand. There is a list of approved ASQ hotels to choose from, which you must pay for.
Travelers entering Thailand via Bangkok are required to undergo a quarantine period of 14 days (15 nights).
There is currently an exception scheme for those arriving in Phuket known as the Phuket Sandbox scheme. Under this scheme travelers do not need to quarantine but must stay in Phuket for 14 nights before onward travel.
Being cooped up in a hotel for a week or more doesn't sound much like a holiday, but for those desperate to get back to their life in Thailand, this is the only way (as of the time of writing).
It's not all bad, though. Yes, it's an expense you can do without, but consider that many countries around the world are either in lockdown or have local restrictions in movement.
So what's the alternative? Stay indoors at home for weeks, maybe months, or get yourself to Thailand, do your 14 days in a nice hotel and then have the freedom to travel to the beach for some sun and sea?
In this FAQ, I'll run through all the commonly asked questions about the Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) in Thailand.
Please note that some of the information provided may differ between hotels.
1. How Long Do I Have to Quarantine For?
All travelers entering Thailand are currently subject to a 10-day (11 nights) state quarantine. This means you cannot leave the hotel during this period. This period is 14 days (15 nights) if you are from a country on the COVID variants list.
This list will be updated every 15 days. It currently includes South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Zambia, Kenya, Rwanda, Cameroon, Congo, Ghana and Tanzania
If you test positive for COVID-19 at any of the test intervals during quarantine then you be transferred to the partner hospital of the hotel.
2. What Are the Hotel Facilities Like?
A course a hotel will do its best to make the stay as appealing as possible, but obviously the more expensive the hotel the more frills you can expect.
At a minimum one can expect an extensive TV channel package, three meals a day delivered to your room, access to an outdoor area for gentle exercise, and a few COVID tests along the way.
3. What Times Are Meals Brought to the Room?
Generally speaking, meal times are as follows:
- Breakfast: 7:00 AM – 09:00 AM.
- Lunch: 12:00 PM – 14:00 PM.
- Dinner: 18:00 PM – 20:00 PM.
4. Are the ASQ Hotels Only in Bangkok?
Initially ASQ was only available in Bangkok, but a list of Alternative Local State Quarantine (ALSQ) hotels have been announced in Phuket, Koh Samui, Chonburi, Burirum and Prachiburi.
5. How Do I Get to the Hotel From the Airport?
All ASQ bookings are packaged with a free transfer from the airport to the hotel.
6. How Can I Book an ASQ Hotel?
Previously you had to book directly with the hotel, but now all hotels are available through Agoda.
7. What Are the Rules on Sharing Rooms?
Only married couples and parents with children are eligible to share rooms. You’ll have to provide a copy of your marriage certificate as proof of your relationship. For children, you must provide a birth certificate or adoption certificate.
Singletons must have separate rooms.
8. Am I Allowed Alcohol in My Room?
No. There is no alcohol allowed. That said, some people have reported being able to get beer in some hotels. Additionally, your bags are not checked :). Duty Free, anyone?
9. Will the ASQ Hotel Provide Water?
Yes. Most hotels will provide 2-4 bottles of water per day.
10. Can I Get a Food Delivery Like a Pizza?
No outside food delivery is allowed unless a relative, who delivers it and signs a release form, cooks it at home.
11. Can I Go to 7-11 Or Any Other Local Shop?
No. You must stay in your room, or designated areas of the hotel. Some hotels do a 7-11 run a couple of times a day, but certain items aren't allowed, so you'll have to check the rules at your chosen hotel.
12. Am I Allowed to Use the Hotel Gym or Pool?
Generally speaking, after your first negative COVID test you will be allowed access to a designated walking area. The size and quality of that designated area depends on your choice of hotel.
After the second negative test you will be able to use the gym.
13. On What Days Do I Get a COVID-19 Test?
Tests are carried out by the hospital partnered with the hotel you are staying in. You will test on your arrival day, then day 9 or 10 and also day 13 or 14.
14. Will Housekeeping Clean My Room?
Yes. Bear in mind though that the schedule will differ between hotels. Generally speaking housekeeping will be provided twice a week, or once every two days after your first negative COVID-19 test. You will wait in another room, or a designated area, while your room is cleaned.
A laundry service will also be available (at your expense).
15. What Documents Do I Need to Enter Thailand?
You will need to present the following at the airline check-in counter and upon arrival in Thailand:
- Certificate of Entry
- A completed and signed declaration form
- Fit to Fly health certificate, issued within 72 hours of departure – this is a statement by a doctor that you are free from symptoms and fit to fly (must be separate from COVID test). This is not required as of 1st April 2021.
- COVID-19 test result, with a laboratory output indicating that COVID -19 is not detected (COVID test must be by RT-PCR method), issued within 72 hours of departure
- A copy of your health insurance policy with coverage including COVID-19 related treatment in Thailand in the amount no less than 100,000 USD.
- Copy of your confirmed booking at an ASQ hotel
- T.8 form
* Information courtesy of the London Thai Embassy
How Do I Get the Correct COVID-19 Insurance?
Please read this post for further details on getting your insurance from an approved company.
What Hotels Do You Recommend?
ASQ hotels have fallen in price since the program first started.
Now that more hotels have come on board the higher competition has driven prices down.
Prices range from $80 – $200 a night. The hotels are mostly 4 and 5 star, because, let's be frank, staying in a 2 star for 10 days (11 nights) without being able to leave would be a lot less pleasant than a top end hotel.
Here's a rough guide of what you can expect to pay.
- Low price: 38,000 THB ($1271.26 / £9,33.43
- Mid price: 80,000 THB ($2676.35 / £1,965.12
- Highest price: 200,000 THB ($6690.87 / £4,912.80
Top Pick: The Mövenpick – Sukhumvit 15
Having stayed here in the past, I can fully vouch for the Mövenpick.
It's 5 star, rooms have balconies, and it's centrally situated, with everything on your doorstep once you've finished quarantine – Asok station is just a five-minute walk.
A huge plus point is that you can rent gym equipment for your room during your ASQ stay.
Being able to exercise with weights each day will help you keep a healthy routine during quarantine, which will help with sleep, too.
The good news is that you can get a 10% discount if you book directly through the Mövenpick reservation team and say “TheThailandLife website referred me, so I get 10% discount”.
The ASQ package is very reasonable for a 5 star.
- Airport pickup
- Full board meals
- 20% discount on food and beverage (non-alcoholic)
- 3 COVID-19 tests during your stay
- Face masks, hand gel and infrared thermometer provided
- Hi-speed WIFI
- Rooftop area
- Swimming pool (but sadly you won't be able to use this during ASQ)
- Registered nurse on standby
- Free doctor consultation through a telemedicine service
- Superior Room: 45,000 (30 sqm). Very affordable, with a lovely bathroom.
- Deluxe Room: 54,000 (32 sqm). Is this worth the extra 2 sqm? Perhaps, considering you will be in the room a long time.
- Suite Room: 71,000 (60 sqm). This option gets you a separate living room space, which you will appreciate with being in the room for so many days.
* Smoking rooms are available on request.
Top tip: Don't forget to book directly and quote TheThailandLife for your 10% off.
Other Hotels You Might Consider
- Grande Centre Point Hotel Terminal 21
- Somerset Rama 9 Bangkok
- Anantara Siam Bangkok Hotel
- The Sukosol
- The Salil Hotel Sukhumvit 57
- Lancaster Bangkok
- Maduzi Hotel
- Eleven Hotel Bangkok
- Centara Watergate Pavillion Hotel Bangkok
- Arte Hotel
- SureStay Plus by Best Western
- Solitaire Bangkok Sukhumvit 11
- Radisson Suites Bangkok Sukhumvit
- Rembrandt Hotel & Suites
- Solaria Nishitetsu Hotel Bangkok
Got a question you'd like to ask? Currently staying in ASQ and want to share your experience? Please leave it in the comments section below.
Last Updated on